Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Long Overdue Update

Sometimes I feel like life moves full speed, almost doing laps around me. Somehow it has been almost a month since I've blogged on here. I've been busy, for sure. Some days are so busy I don't have 10 minutes to sit down and grab lunch. And yet somehow I've managed to continue with my running. I am happy to report that I'm am currently in week six of my training and running further and faster than I thought possible.

I had a minor training set back at the end of week four/beginning of week five. I took the kids to Orlando (still managing to drag myself to the gym after our long days of amusement parks)  but by the end of the week my feet had actually cracked open in 8(!) places, making walking excruciating, so running was out of the picture. So I took a day off. Then I got hit with the worst cold I've had in over a year. I took off the rest of the next week. It had been almost 10 full days without any running and I had my longest run yet planned - six miles. I was feeling slightly winded just walking up the stairs, so I was terrified of what I would be able to do (or not do), but I was even more scared of what would happen if I didn't drag myself outside to do it. And somehow, running was easy for the first time. I had no need to stop or slow down. I kept up an eleven minute mile pace and ran almost seven miles. I was so proud of myself. Now, there were some unfortunate consequences of running while trying to get over a cold, with the lack of tissues being a big issue. I really had no choice but to attempt my first "snot rocket". It also went better than I could have imagined and I felt like a bad ass 12 year old boy. However, after I had reached my halfway point and was running back in the other direction, I did not take the wind into consideration and suffice it to say, the second "rocket" did NOT go so well.

As for this week, I am happy to report that I have finally gotten over this horrible cold and have another long run planned this weekend. My training schedule dictates a 5k race (to get in race experience) but I never signed up for one since Mike is out of town. My goal is to run just over seven miles and actually hit 12k if I can. I have to say that my biggest source of enjoyment when it comes to running is to actually run further than I'm supposed to. I can't explain why exactly this is my favorite part of running, but I'm sure it directly linked to some sort of character flaw, like inflated pride or having unrealistic expectations. Either way, it keeps me going.

As for fundraising I have raised $1,820 for the children of St. Jude. I'm close to my goal of $2,000 and ultimately I would love to blow that goal out of the water and raise even more! Here is the link to my fundraising page  http://www.mystjudeheroes.org/LeahsHope Thank you to everyone who has generously donated to this noble cause!


Weeks until half-marathon: 6.5!

No comments:

Post a Comment